Does Chewing Gum Reduce a Double Chin?
It’s a question that’s been asked by many people, usually more so by people who suffer directly from a double chin and who are curious to know if chewing gum can reduce a double chin. The answer may surprise you, in fact, so much so you may decide to go out and buy a pack of sugar free gum today after reading this article, but don’t take my word for it and before you do, let’s take a deeper look at the proof below explain how chewing gum can reduce a double chin.
Does Chewing Gum Reduce A Double Chin: Yes or No
The short simple answer is a resounding YES. In fact, you can confidently tell anyone who may ask “Does Chewing Reduce A Double Chin” that yes it does. But why does it help reduce a double chin? When you chew it requires the use of 3 major facial muscles which are located in the cheeks, jaw and below the chin. These three muscles groups are:
- Masseter – a powerful muscle of mastication that closes the jaw.
- Buccinator – acts to compress the cheek towards the teeth.
- Platysma – a large muscle that lies under the jaw and down the neck to the upper chest.
How Does Chewing Gum Reduce A Double Chin?
Now you may be wondering, if chewing anything exercises these 3 facial muscle groups, then why is chewing gum more beneficial than chewing food? The answer can be broken down into 2 simple answers:
- Chewing gum is a great alternative to chewing food. Instead of binging on food you can have a stick of gum. More often than not chewing gum can provide you the sense of eating and starve off any boredom or nuisance eating habits when you have nothing else to do which is of great benefit to those who are dieting.
- Chewing gum is also harder than chewing food. This means that your 3 facial muscle groups get a longer and harder workout opposed to simply eating meals and snacks. Next time your chewing feel the muscles mentioned above and feel them working in your jaw and below your chin.
Another exercise you use with your chewing gum is place the gum on the roof of your mouth and push up, squashing the gum against the roof of your mouth with your tongue and trying to roll it up like bakers doe. If you place your finger on the side of your cheek and also under your jaw, you can feel your facial muscles tense and release as you push up. Be careful though, performing this exercise to much can lead to rawness on the roof of your mouth.
As well as chewing gum and performing the above exercise to reduce a double chin you can also incorporate double chin exercises into your daily routine to help speed up the process of losing a double chin.
Precaution When Chewing Gum To Reduce A Double Chin:
Just because you now have a positive answer to the question “does chewing gum reduce a double chin” it means you should now go out and chew as much gum as possible. In fact you should now be weighing up healthy gum options before doing so. Which gums are better than others? Example being sugar free gums over their sugar loaded counterparts. Chewing gums which are backed by the dental foundation are another option you should be looking at. If you’re wondering what gums fit within in this scope, Wrigley’s is one brand which dentists recommend after any meal and can be chewed in-between as well.
Another method you can work into chewing gum to exercise your facial muscles is to eat gum gradually, and not in a sudden burst of chewing, as it can lead to top soreness in the mouth, particularly the jaw.
Also remember that chewing gum can also pull fillings out of place. So be weary of how much you chew gum during the day and if it can be avoided, chew gum in areas of your mouth with little or no fillings.
Incorporating the above information into your daily routine along with healthy eating and facial exercises which can be found on this site will help you rid yourself of a double chin and give your face and neck a slim defined profile.